This course is designed to educate ground personnel in the very important role they play in overall job site safety and accident prevention. In addition to clean up, chipping of brush and cutting of wood, ground personnel are responsible for assisting climbers and/or bucket operators in often very technical and serious rigging, removal, and pruning operations. A strong focus on risk management, safe and ergonomic work practices is demonstrated and practiced in this course.
Applicable Standards: This course meets the ANSI/ASSE Z490.1 Criteria for Accepted Practices in Safety, Health, and Environmental Training as well as OSHA 1910.269 and ANSI Z133.
Integrated Risk Management & Emergency Readiness
• P.P.E. (personal protective equipment), planning and emergency response • Aerial lift and climber self rescue assistance and readiness
• Communication and understanding customer performer model
• Voice command response, signals for backing up truck and chipper, crane signals
Chainsaw Safety and Operations
• Ergonomics, safe handling and cutting procedures • Daily saw care and preventative maintenance
Ergonomics and Accident Preventative Work Practices
• Ergonomic lifting procedures, dragging& stacking brush efficiently • Risk management and aerial support and assistance
Chipper/stump grinder operations
• Safety and efficiency, brush and wood feeding procedures / stump grinding procedures, basic maintenance, proper hook up, P.P.E.
Creating a Safe Work Zone
• Cones& safety signage set-up, dealing with or moving obstacles or hazards, traffic and pedestrian handling
• Techniques, setting lines, multiple uses
• Knots and hitches, bends, set-up and use of friction devices, running lines, introduction to understanding rigging